DALLAS – The Big Tex Choice Awards returned this past weekend as a panel of judges awarded the top honors for Best Taste Sweet, Best Taste Savory, and Most Creative. The State Fair of Texas was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Chef Greg Parish was the biggest winner as his Deep-Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls took home the top prize in two categories, best-tasting savory and most creative.
The winning entry for the best-tasting sweet dish went to concessionaire James Barrera for ‘The Armadillo’ — a gigantic cookie butter ice cream sandwich.
Below are some of the The Big Tex Choice Awards dishes that will be available when the State Fair of Texas begins on Friday, Sept. 24.
• Brisket Brittle — A peanut brittle with the peanuts replaced with smokey brisket.
• Crispy Crazy Corn — Whole kernel corn that is individually battered, fried and seasoned, and then topped with pork and pineapple slaw.
• Dallas Hot — A smoked turkey frank dipped in a spicy seasoned batter and deep fried, then splattered with rich and creamy mac and cheese, and topped with fried jalapeños and Cholula.
• Deep Fried Halloween — A large, chewy pretzel coated in candy corn syrup, frosted with orange and white buttercream icing, topped with marshmallow whip cream, and then splattered with Halloween candy.
• Deep Fried I-35 — A tasty kolache filled with brisket, peaches and Dr Pepper glaze.
• Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls — Filled with shrimp, crab and sausage, rolled in saltine cracker/breadcrumb batter, and topped with chicken fried okra spears.
• Frozen Ranch Water — A frozen rendition of the popular cocktail — which can include toppings like raspberry and passion fruit.
• Lobster Corn Dog — A lobster cake dipped in cornmeal and deep fried like a corndog.
• Pork Shots — A smoked sausage that is wrapped in bacon, and then stuffed with mac and cheese.
• Takis Locos — Nachos with Takis Fuego chips, melted cheese, refried beans, pico, and cilantro.
• Texas Easter Eggs — A deep-fried, egg-shaped snack made with meats, spices, cheeses, peppers, and topped with colored ranch sauce.