The Big Tex Choice Awards are back, and are bigger and bolder as ever. The 2020 concessions competition was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The State Fair of Texas announced the list of semifinalists recently with 32 dishes competing for the coveted “Most Creative” award. The winners will be announced at the Big Tex Choice Awards ceremony in August.
The 2021 State Fair of Texas runs from September 24 through October 17 at Fair Park.
Below are some of the highlights from this year’s semifinalists:
• Brisket Brittle — A peanut brittle with the peanuts replaced with smokey brisket.
• Crispy Crazy Corn — Whole kernel corn that is individually battered, fried and seasoned, and then topped with pork and pineapple slaw.
• Dallas Hot — A smoked turkey frank dipped in a spicy seasoned batter and deep fried, then splattered with rich and creamy mac and cheese, and topped with fried jalapeños and Cholula.
• Deep Fried Halloween — A large, chewy pretzel coated in candy corn syrup, frosted with orange and white buttercream icing, topped with marshmallow whip cream, and then splattered with Halloween candy.
• Deep Fried I-35 — A tasty kolache filled with brisket, peaches and Dr Pepper glaze.
• Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls — Filled with shrimp, crab and sausage, rolled in saltine cracker/breadcrumb batter, and topped with chicken fried okra spears.
• Frozen Ranch Water — A frozen rendition of the popular cocktail — which can include toppings like raspberry and passion fruit.
• Lobster Corn Dog — A lobster cake dipped in cornmeal and deep fried like a corndog.
• Pork Shots — A smoked sausage that is wrapped in bacon, and then stuffed with mac and cheese.
• Takis Locos — Nachos with Takis Fuego chips, melted cheese, refried beans, pico, and cilantro.
• Texas Easter Eggs — A deep-fried, egg-shaped snack made with meats, spices, cheeses, peppers, and topped with colored ranch sauce.